Madlib Medicine Show #7: High Jazz is an all-new Madlib jazz production. High Jazz, the name itself a tribute to the landmark jazz-fusion album released by Stanton Davis's Ghetto Mysticism in 1976, shows a marked development in Madlib's craft.
Since the introduction of Madlib's Yesterdays New Quintet releases nearly a decade ago, the producer's core group of musicians and collaborators (known collectively as "Yesterdays Universe") has grown by the dozens. The notoriously elusive, publicity-shy and anti-commercial ethic of the group has kept many of the recordings from every being released, while others have been pressed anonymously, kept within the group or distributed only among private collectors.
Among the newly released tracks on High Jazz are a Madlib, Karriem Riggins & James Poyser collaboration, the debut of groups Generation Match, The Big Black Foot Band, RMC, and a 15-minute live piece by Yesterdays New Quintet (recorded at a secret show in 2000). The 15-track album runs a total of 61 minutes.
Limited edition 3-disc vinyl: Madlib has collected an additional 30 minutes of music for the limited edition vinyl release of High Jazz. These tracks are not available on the CD or digital release. Album covers will be hand screened by Hit+Run with a design by Jeff Jank, and individually numbered. See photos below.
Album track list - click for sound clips:
1. The Jackson Conti Band - Steppinâ€™ Into Tomorrow (Prelude)
2. Generation Match - Electronic Dimensions
3. Jahari Massamba Unit - Pretty Eyes
4. The Kenny Cook Octet - High Jazz
5. Yesterdays New Quintet - Medley: Don't You Worry Bout A Thing (Live At Spear for The Moondog)
7. The Big Black Foot Band, feat. The Black Spirits - Reality or Dream
8. Russell Jenkins Jazz Express - Drunk Again
9. Poyser, Riggins & Jackson - Funky Butt, Part 1 (MP3)
10. Jahari Massamba Unit - Wonderin'/Nightime
11. R.M.C. - Space & Time
12. Yesterdays New Quintet - Conquistador
13. The Big Black Foot Band, feat. The Black Spirits - Tarzan's Theme
15. Joe McDuphrey Experience - Kimo